This is a list for an average trip. A ski trip will need specialized equipment as with trekking. Of course make adjustments to the list to fit your needs. The main thing to remember when it comes to packing is less is more. As long as you have your passport and a credit card you can usually get anything you need. In this version I have included links to amazon for some of the items that I use they may be affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you any extra but if you buy through the link I get a little something.
It is advisable to have quick drying clothes as you can pack less and do laundry along the way. This list includes the clothes you will be wearing on day 1 of your trip.
- Underwear – 1 per day with a max of 7 pairs
- Socks – 1 pair per day with a max of 7 pairs
- Pants – 2 pairs in cold weather 1 pair in warm weather preferably versatile enough for day and evening. I wear prAnas
- Everyday shorts – 2 pairs for warm weather do not bring for cold weather
- Nice wrinkle free shirt – 1 for nice dinners
- Everyday shirts – 4 this could be t-shirts, pollos, button ups
- Swimsuit – up to 2 for a beach trip 1 for a trip that has a pool
- Pajamas – 1 top and 1 bottom. Can be good for wearing when washing clothes
- Workout clothes – If you work out everyday at home then 1 set that can be washed in the shower with you. If you do not workout everyday at home then leave your workout clothes at home. You probably won’t use them
- Bras – up to 3 including sports bras.
- Skirt – up to 1
- Dress – 1 for a nice dinner
- Coverup – 2 if going on a beach trip otherwise 1 or leave it at home
- Shoes – 1 pair that is comfortable for walking around
- Water Shoes or sandals – 1 pair if on a beach trip
- Hiking shoes – 1 pair if doing hiking or adventure activities. Try to choose shoes that are more verstal. I like Salomon X Ultra 3
- Weather Appropriate Jacket – 1 unless going on a ski trip. I take my North Face Canyonwall everywhere
Watch your electronic list. It can get people into trouble when they are packing every electronic item they own. If you don’t think you need it then leave it home. Books are cheap and most electronics are diversion devices. Be in the moment.
- Plug adapter
- Cell phone – I recently changed to a Samsung note 9
- Cell phone charger
- Battery pack
- Tablet charger
- Travel power strip – When i need to replace mine i will probably get this one
- Laptop – I travel around with a HP Spectre and it treats me well
- Laptop charger
This is a spot where most can pare down. If you are traveling as a family then see if you can combine what is being used and bring less. Also remember that most hotels provide soap shampoo and conditioner and for short trips it will usually be enough.
Travel sized versions of things are usually not a great value. Invest in some TSA sized empty bottles and fill them up with what you need. If you want to be on a whole other level you can top everything up when you get back from your trip in order to save you time in packing
- Soap or body wash
- Brush or comb
- Motion Sickness Pills
- Pain pills
- Toilet Paper
- Hygiene Products
- Ear Swabs
- Beach Towel – 1 if beach trip
- Bath Towel – 1 if not provided otherwise leave at home
- Daypack – 1 use as your personal item on the airplane
- Travel pillow – 1 if flying redeye or a long time. Many long haul flights provide them.
- Credit/ debit cards – 2 keep 1 on your body at all times and the other hidden in your checked or main bag
- Book – 1 to read on the plane or when you don’t want to look at screens.
- Packing cubes to keep things seperate